Monday 10 January 2011

CD90Z - more seat work

I thought it was about time I started work on the CD90Z after the Christmas festivities.  The seat seemed a good place to begin.  A quick tap and it fell apart. So I unpicked the cover, or what was left of it, the years and weather had made the vinyl very brittle.  

A bit of sticky tape and some imaginative drawing round what was and wasn't there and I had a pattern. More sticky tape and I had something that actually resembled a seat cover.  Result!
But what of the seat base.  After dismantling it looked like this...
Not that much left of it, but as I intend to use an idea put forward on the c90club forum, to encase the rusty hulk in fibreglass that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
However I thought I may as well try out the electrolysis idea and see how well it works.

An old plastic dustbin, some washing soda, a 12 volt battery charger, a bit of steel sheet and some water and I was ready to go.  A couple of tablespoons of soda in the water, connect the negative lead to the metal you want to clean, the positive to the scrap and switch on. The process gives off hydrogen gas so don't touch the two bits of metal or you may need a new shed/garage.  Anyway it really seems to work rather well and the horribly rusty seat base is beginning to look a little better.  Next bit will be to start making the cover, I have some nice burgundy  leather off an old Chesterfield........

No comments:

Post a Comment