Sunday 29 May 2011

CD90Z - head & cylinder

Time to sort out the smoking. On dismantling the head I found the valve gear and cams in good condition. I then moved onto getting the cylinder off. However this turned out to be a bit of a chore as the bolt for the chain guide roller was seized into the head and had very rounded corners. After attempts with various sockets and spanners I decided to cut a slot and try an impact driver - one broken driver bit later and the bolt was still in place, almost laughing at me. Then I discovered a tool called an Irwin Bolt Grip Remover, I read the online reviews and thought it probably wouldn't work... anyway I went and spent £22 and invested in the set of five sockets. Approximately one minute after walking into my garage I had removed the offending bolt. Amazing, it actually worked so well I didn't believe it had undone the bolt at first - certainly a good bit of kit for the toolbox.
So, cylinder off and I could see the piston. A touch of very light scoring on the piston and cylinder so I think I'll try and get away with it. Lots of yucky gasket goo and a fair bit of cleaning up to do, but the condition of the components was pretty good. One thing I did find, or rather didn't find was the oil seal on the exhaust valve guide... no sign of it so maybe that could be a major cause of the smoke - fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment