Sunday 28 November 2010

CD90Z fuel tank woes.

Ok, what's the picture on the left of, a colander a tea strainer? No it's a CD90Z petrol tank.  Perforated across the top and as rusty as a rusty thing inside.  Probably scrap really but seem to be pretty rare and difficult to find a replacement so it may have to be a repair.  As I mentioned in an earlier blog I'm thinking of having a go at electrolysis to remove the rust - (not only an unwanted hair removal method).  If successful I'm hoping it will still be in a condition to repair with a POR-15 Fuel Tank Repair Kit.  There seem to be three stages to this kit.  First a chemical to remove fuel gum, sludge and varnish and then another to treat the rust.  Finally a tank sealer which makes what appears to be a tank within the tank. Well fine in theory but how well it works I hope to find out later.  This should hopefully make the interior of the tank impervious to fuel and oxygen.  Before I start fixing the inside I'll need to fill the holes from the outside and try the electrolysis.  See how these experiments work in a later blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment