Thursday 25 November 2010

Dismantling, stripping and sanding

Dismantling the bike was next.  This went fairly easily with liberal amounts of WD40 and the occasional use of a blowtorch.  I was reacquainted with problems my brother had had over 30 years ago; the bar through the stand was totally seized and needed heat and a visit from my mallet to persuade it to release itself from the position it had occupied for the last ... years.  I can remember my brother fighting with it.  I also noticed that the clutch cable anchor point on the engine casting was broken and was clinging on with the aid of a jubilee clip - another bit that took me back as I can remember this being a short term measure to keep the bike on the road - 30 years ago!  I have now stripped the frame, swinging arm, fuel tank and fork shrouds.  I have repaired the headlight with fibre glass and undercoated it.  I managed to find a new 6v battery at a car boot sale for a fiver which will hopefully give me sufficient power once it is filled with acid.  I stripped the paint with regular paint stripper and an abrasive wheel from Halfords.

No comments:

Post a Comment