Thursday 25 November 2010

The story begins - a very sad Honda CD90Z




This is a blog about a Honda CD90Z which my brother bought about 35 years ago. It used to be in great condition but after being sat outside a shed for the most of it's life the poor bike was rather sad and rusty. I was given the Honda about ten years ago and it has lain around for about 10 years in my garage, which at least kept the weather off it. So this is the story of what happens next, I will attempt to restore it as it is part of my youth - the only motorbike left of many that were around in my teens!  As you can see the CD90Z has some parts removed but you can see the poor condition in the photo - in real life it's worse!  In my next blog I'll give details on the condition of the parts.  In subsequent blogs I hope to say what worked and what didn't and tell of the good products and methods I may discover on rebuilding this bike.

9 comments:

  1. Hi, good luck with your CD90Z. It's a very brave job to have taken on! I have two CD90Z's (a 1970 and a 1969) that I bought about 7 years ago. One is awaiting restoration and the other I use regularly as transport to work. Fuel around Norwich is about £1.30 a litre so at between 110 and 130 mpg it saves a lot of money compared to the car. If you ever get your bike back on the road I would be interested to know if you have a problem with oil loss through the engine breather hole on the left side of the engine. I do with mine, despite having replaced the piston rings and valve stem seals to try and stop pressure building up in the crankcase. I'm trying to find other owners to hear of their experiences. Oh by the way, my bike needed a new exhaust and I bought a chinese copy which was supposed to be for an S90 but I made it fit mine quite easily. Well good luck with your work, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, thank you for your interest, information and support. It's good to know that there is a fellow CD90Z owner in the Norwich area as it is a fairly regular destination of mine. With reference to the oil loss problem and experiences from other owners if you haven't already joined the C90Club you may find it worth doing. It's free, friendly and there is a wealth of knowledge and experience. You would also be the 3rd CD90Z owner on there. The other CD90Z owner has provided me with some useful information already. The link to the club is in my Useful Links (above). Thanks again for your comments. Regards Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I've recently bought one Honda CD90Z of 1969 that needed restorastion work. Now, I've managed to do the restoration job on the bike but still need to replace the pipe, front fork (51410-229-000)and it has been so hard to find...it has been about 3 months looking everywhere...can anyone help me or tell me where can I get this part!....my email to contact is: ecoquenao@yahoo.co.uk
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cruz, whereabouts are you? It may be worth you joining the C90Club link above. There are a few of us CD90Z owners on there now. madnik

    ReplyDelete
  6. Madnik, and anyone else following this blog. Are you aware that there is a 1971 CD90Z for sale on ebay RIGHT NOW 16/8/2011. But it finishes tomorrow... Just in case you are interested. I'm keeping an eye on it, I'd love to buy it but can't really justify the expenditure as I already have one plus another in parts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It made £695 and needed total refurb - Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well whats happened

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still finding parts, plus time needed on car with broken gearbox

    ReplyDelete